All praise and thanks are due to Allāh (SWT), who blessed us with the Glorious Qur’ān. Abundant salutations be upon our beloved teacher and role model, the first haafidh, Nabi Muhammad (SAW).
As I renew my life goals tonight, I thought I’d share some with you to inspire you to write your own. Especially with the month of Qur’an coming up, first up should (ideally) be Qur’an goals, followed by spiritual goals. These are lifetime goals which should be broken up according to one’s ability and preference.
General Qur’an Goals
- Learn to recite with tajweed (correct pronunciation)
- Ensure your children or family recites with tajweed
- Recite the entire Qur’an
- Understand the Qur’an
- Read tafseer of the entire Qur’an
- Memorise suwar Mulk, Waaqi’ah, Sajda, Yaaseen etc.
- Memorise the entire Qur’an
Qur’an Goals for Huffaadh
- Attain sanad & ijaaza in some or all of the 10 qira-aat (from memory)
- Recite the whole Qur’an in one sitting (from memory)
- Recite the complete Qur’an in salaah in one night (from memory)
- Write down the entire Qur’an (from memory)
Impossible? Actually, I personally know and have read or heard of people who have accomplished these goals, subhanAllah! May Allah preserve, reward and grant them the highest level of Jannah! And may Allah grant us tawfeeq (the ability and opportunity) to follow suit. Aameen!
Simultaneously work on life goals in other areas of your life.
- Spiritual goals e.g. go on hajj
- Skill-set goals e.g. public speaking
- Physical goals e.g. exercise
- Family goals e.g. get married
- Influence goals e.g. mentor others
- Giving goals e.g. charity in cash or kind
- Travel Goals e.g. all the continents
- Financial Goals e.g. owning a successful business
- Experience goals e.g. Mount Kilimanjaro
Once you’ve written these down, read them daily. This is a reminder to myself first.
with best wishes for your hifdh success,